Sunday, September 16, 2007

Man's Best Friend

So last sunday my dog Skooter passed away. He was an awesome dog.
When I was thirteen mom and dad made the announcement that we were moving. Again. I had already said I wouldn't move unless we got another dog. They agreed to let me have a dog but said we'd have to wait until after moved. A few weeks later I came home from school and mom started scolding me the second I came up the driveway about my messy room and unmade bed. Sulkily I went upstairs to make my bed and amidst the pile of messed up sheets and blankets was a cute fluffy puppy! That evening we decided on Skooter's name via democratic process: we all submitted our name suggestions and dad picked the one he liked (funnily enough it was the name he suggested....)
Here are all the things that made Skooter so special (or "special" as some people liked to say):
Splashing in the water bowl until all the water was on the floor
pulling on his tail so hard he'd flip himself over
not eating his food unless I sat next to him
crawling into my lap to fall asleep
putting his paws on my chest pushing me over to lie on my stomach when he was too big to fit in my lap
sliding down the stairs instead of walking
pulling Kodi's tail to get him to play
diving into the river to dig up rocks the size of his head
He ate about six of mom's butterfly bushes, her really pretty rose bush, bugs, a stick of butter, shoes, cucumbers that grew through the garden fence, and many many other things. He chased the birds away for us when we came home, wouldn't come inside unless he had something in his mouth, and would make weird whining/growling noises when he was excited. He ran in his sleep (rather violently), shuffled his feet when he walked, pranced when he ran (someone at the dog park asked about that one time and dad told the man it was because Skooter was gay), and liked to push up against your feet.
Yeah he was a little slow and did a lot of dumb things, but that was what was so endearing about him. I'll never forget his droopy lips, excessive drool, and his sweet trusting temperament. He was my baby and I'll never forget him.




Skooter Vespa Toryglen Gold Digger Whitby
October 13 1997-September 9 2007

No comments: